ISO9001 BVRLA member
Skip to content

Competitive low prices

Whitgift News

  • Fleet of over 400 vehicles
  • All vehicles under 3 years old
  • 40 years experience

Get a Quick Quote *Required fields


What Are The Licence Requirements For a 7.5 Tonne Lorry?

Posted on by Whitgift Hire Team


The requirements for driving different vehicles can often be difficult to get your head around, particularly if you are operating in a profession which relies on you using a variety  of transport options.

As a company dealing predominantly in commercial vehicle hire, at Whitgift Hire we want to help clarify the rules when it comes to 7.5 tonne lorries. It’s always tricky to understand the rules, but if you’re unsure about whether you are legally able to drive a vehicle it is always safer to contact our team or enquire with the DVLA.

A 7.5 tonne lorry is considered to be a medium sized vehicle, with a variety of uses. From transporting your belongings when moving home, to professional purposes such as transporting goods – it could even be a temporary arrangement while your own lorry is being repaired or replaced.


So who can drive a 7.5 tonne lorry? There is a specific category you need to have on your driving license: Category C1. This allows you to drive a medium sized vehicles (or large vehicles in some cases) between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes. With a C1+E category on your license you can drive a C1 vehicle, plus a trailer if the weight of the cargo doesn’t exceed the weight of the vehicle itself.

One thing you must remember however, in accordances with changes made in the last few years, is that you cannot use these vehicles professionally if you do not have Driver CPC (Certificate of Professional Competence). This law was introduced by the DVSA, meaning that even if you have the C1 category on your license, you need the CPC training too.

To get the CPC you must pass four tests, with 35 hours of driver training a mandatory requirement every 5 years. These stringent requirements also require regular medical reports after you turn 45 to continue driving such vehicles. Training is available from a number of providers, enabling you to be safe and legal on the road.

Personal Usage

It’s important to remember that the CPC requirements are only necessary if you’re using the vehicle for professional purposes, otherwise, with a C1 category license you can make use of hiring medium or large lorries. What actually constitutes “professional usage” is much harder to define than you’d think, with some activities allowed in a professional, temporary capacity.

You can clear up any confusion over license requirements by discussing the intended purpose for hiring a vehicle with our team. Many people assume that because they have held a license or a qualification for a long time that the law does not apply; this is not the case, as many laws are updated to reflect new requirements.

Here at Whitgift Hire, we have a fantastic variety of medium and large vehicles, whether you need one long term or short term. Get in touch today for more details or to arrange lorry hire with our professional team.

This entry was posted in Lorry Hire. Bookmark the permalink.